Sunday 12 August 2012

Dish of the WEEK

Once again my dish of the week is something I actually ate!
Yes I know it looks quite unappealing, and to be fair I didn't order it, wee problem in the translation I think. I thought I had ordered shrimp tortilla. Clearly it was not shrimp tortilla that arrived, I'm sure you will agree.

We were enjoying a birthday lunch in a great little Tapas Bar, with 12 "new friends" in Pudong. We all were ordering a couple of tapas each, and we ordered by number, as you would do in any Chinese Takeout in UK, but still a mistake was made.

During a discussion on what it was, various suggestions were thrown around, but two of us agreed the thick black gunge was probably squid ink, therefore main ingredient would be squid. Okay I could handle that.

Carefully I cut into it, there was a stuffing of some sort, and when I bit into it I was very surprised, it was delicious.
There would be no problem eating this.

 As you know Tapas is all about sharing, well there was only one person willing to share this with me. I was happy about that. We soon finished it off. A second look at the menu showed we had been eating squid head stuffed with pork and shrimp, finished with a squid ink sauce.

So it only proves that sometimes it's worth taking the risk, you never know what delicacies may come your way.

1 comment:

Brownieville Girl said...

Very brave of you to give it a try - just shows looks can be deceiving!