Thursday 24 January 2013

SHANGHAI BURNS' SUPPER (part 1 )

My husband thoughtfully put my name forward as someone who may help out at The Shanghai Scottish Club's first Burns' Supper in the city.

Always happy to help I was assigned table decoration. Right up my street. Tables would look like the St Andrew's flag. I surprised my little tailor with an order of 40 white table runners, and we were up and running. Dress rehearsal and tables looked great. A bit of tweaking of flowers and it would be perfect.


So my job done! But no. A food tasting had to be done. No hardship there then. Chef did really well, haggis is flown down from Beijing, and it tasted good. "Hao chi" as we say here. Cock-a leekie not so great but a few pointers and it will be fine on the night. Chef was happy for direction, and of course I was happy to give it. I mean what is cock-a-leekie without a prune? Cranachan also needed a wee tweak, but I am sure on the night all will be perfect.

Ok job done. Not quite. Would I make tablet?  http://thecelticcook.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=tablet For anyone who doesn't know what tablet is check it out. Recipe included.
So now it's tablet for 100 people! It's ok I'm told some one else is doing the other 100 pieces. So no problem then. Lol.

I'm thinking my talents are now exhausted. But once again I am called upon for table names. No numbered tables, we are making them all clan names. I can't complain as this was my suggestion. So I spend a bit of time making sure, that wherever possible each table will have a clan name relating to someone sitting there. Took a while, and a wee bit of artistic licence, but I got there. A suggestion for design of card and I was finished.

One more job was requested of me. This one way above my level of competence. This would have me fighting way above my weight. What was this request. Well only to play GOD! Yes a short play involving a dead Robert Burns arriving at the Pearly Gates only to find GOD is a "wummin"  

So wish me luck. Who knows maybe GOD is a white Scottish woman of a certain age. Stranger things have happened. I'll let you know how it goes.

So I'll leave you today with a traditional Scottish Grace, as written by Robert Burns.

"Some hae meat and cannae eat
Some can eat that want it
But we have meat, and we can eat,
So let the Lord be thankit........"

2 comments:

Phil in the Kitchen said...

Excellent table dressing - great idea. I'm very jealous - firstly because I'd love to have been able to use the phrase "haggis is flown down from Beijing" (that really made me smile on a cold, snowy day) but secondly because you've got the chance to play GOD. You can't get better than that. I hope it goes well.

Snowy said...

Wow, to get to play God.......!
Your table looks lovely. Hope the Burns night was a great success, especially the play! Who's to say that God's not a 'Wummin'?!