Monday 14 August 2017

A TRIP to INDIA

I have just returned from an amazing trip to India, to Agra to, see the Taj Mahal. It is something I have always wanted to visit since I first learned about it at school, many, many years ago!
Finally I got there and I was not disappointed. I was staying in an hotel, The Oberoi, which was located 600m from the Taj Mahal. Imagine my delight when the door to our terrace was opened there it was right in front of me. It was perfect, and I was so happy. Getting up at 4-30am to see the sun rise over the the Taj was no hardship. At this time it wasn't so busy and there were lots of opportunities to take photos. Of which I took many! I was just so happy to be here at last. I never imagined as I listened in school about it that one day I would actually be there. I realise how lucky I am being able to achieve this long time wish.



As if that wasn't enough the hotel was amazing. And on the first night we ate a wonderful Indian meal. The staff were so friendly and willing to chat about the food and the preparation which suited me just fine. I was in heaven.



To top off a wonderful evening I was invited to tour the kitchen. Here I met the chefs, saw all the preparation areas. The tandoori ovens were so hot I could barely stand in the room. I was told the chefs who work there only work for 20 minutes at a time. I am not surprised. I was given a demonstration on how to make kebabs from one of the chefs. My holiday was just getting better and better. 



                       It really was interesting seeing how the orders came into the 
kitchen, including the room service orders, and how they were dealt with. Everything was laid out ready to go when the food was ready. Trays, trolleys and all the sundries which  
come with your food were arranged to make the process as quick and simple as possible. No scurrying around trying to find milk jug, spoon or a napkin here. 
I never thought about how the food gets to the room before, about how many people were involved in it arriving hot and delicious. From the person sitting in a little glass box taking the orders by phone to the person setting up the trolley and trays, not forgetting the chefs involved in cooking it and finally the person delivering it to your room. All very efficient. I will never eat a meal in an hotel room again without thinking about what goes on behind the scenes.




Meeting the chefs was really good. However, I did notice there were no females cooking here. A few in the background of the kitchen but not doing any of the top jobs. When it was time to leave I was given a box of spices which when blended together would make a garam masala mix and told to call if I ever needed any information or help. This amazed me, but don't think I'll put it to the test. I have still to use the mix but I will in the near future. I don't expect to produce the delicious food I was served in The Oberoi, but it will bring back lots of wonderful memories my holiday. 

Travel and Food, two of my favourite things, and with both highlights of this holiday I can say it was one of the best trips I have taken.
I am one very lucky lady.

2 comments:

Phil in the Kitchen said...

I don't think you can get a much better view from a hotel than that. It looks superb. Very recently I was given a tour of a Michelin starred kitchen in a British hotel and I was obviously impressed with the produce and cooking skills but it's the amount of planning and organising that goes on every day that really struck me. I was just grateful that I could be happily disorganised in my own kitchen.

Snowy said...

What wonderful experiences, both visiting the beautiful Taj Mahal and your hotel kitchens.