Sunday 19 April 2015

MY SHANGHAI MONDAY

Today was wet and miserable, but I was not complaining. It was the perfect excuse to stay at home and recover from a very busy weekend. A weekend of overindulging in food and drink and staying up way too late.

A quiet Friday night with friends enjoying a rare treat of good old British Fish and Chips, cooked by myself, ended up with a 3-00am finish, too many empty bottles, but it was so much fun.



Now this wouldn't have been so bad if we were having  a quiet Saturday night at home. However we had to be ready to have dinner at a friend's house on the Saturday night. Some great food and wine and very relaxed, but again a late night although only 2-00am this time!!!
If that wasn't enough we were taking a colleague of my husband's for brunch on Sunday morning. Getting out of bed was a bit of a struggle, but we both pulled through and managed to fulfil our commitment. It was an Indian brunch and although I didn't think I wanted it I did enjoy it once I was there. What's not to love about Indian food. But the afternoon was spent on the sofa catching up on second series of Broadchurch.
Lesson being I'm not as young as I used to be.

So a wet Monday gave me the excuse to stay home and cook some healthier options than we had been indulging in all weekend.

Soup of course top of the list.
 Leeks, carrots, green beans, broccoli, soya beans, peas and courgette all cooked together for a very healthy soup. Feel healthier just making it.


Now a roasted vegetable creation. Red and yellow peppers, courgette, red onion, aubergine and lots of garlic cloves all roasted in the oven with some rosemary.


I always finish the vegetables off with a splash of balsamic as soon as I take them from the oven. Tonight we will eat them with roast chicken pieces. There will be enough for my husband to take for lunch packed into a pitta bread. I also love them on a toasted ciabatta with the edition of some pesto and goats cheese. 

I have to admit to loving bread and I know I should cut back but we do need some treats with all this healthy food going on. So I make my soda bread oats and wholemeal flour, I add some wheatgerm today to make it as healthy as I can. No artificial ingredients just fresh simple ingredients.



Now I'm on a healthy roll. I have a large piece of water melon which I decide to juice. I love this and as watermelon season is starting here in Shanghai I will be enjoying it for many months.


This year I have the privilege of being President of Brits Abroad Shanghai and tomorrow I am hosting a committee meeting in my home. So to finish I made some banana bread, a healthy version, and some small cranberry and orange muffins to serve. 



Not sure why but my banana bread seems to have exploded on one side. Not to worry it will taste just as good I'm sure.

So feeling very pleased with myself I feel and hour on my sofa with the newspaper and maybe a nice bowl of soup with a slice of my bread (small slice) is in order. I'm sure I can balance out the effects of a hectic overindulgent weekend within a couple of days. 



1 comment:

Snowy said...

That sounds like a great weekend. Would you please post your recipe for the soda bread as it sounds delicious? Soup sounds good too, and I like the idea of the splash of balsamic vinegar on the veg. . Hope your committee enjoy your baking - lucky people!