Wednesday 22 March 2017

FRENCH ONION SOUP

On a night out my husband ordered the French onion Soup. His comment was, "Why don't you make this anymore, I really like it."
What he said was very true, I used to make it, quite regularly but couldn't quite remember the last time I had put it on the table. It was obviously some time ago.

So like the good wife I am I decided to make it for him returning from a business trip. He had been out of town all week so this would make hime feel glad to be back.

No sooner had I started to prepare it than the reason that it wasn't on the menu quite so often soon became apparent. The onion chopping! Once that was over it wasn't so bad. However, I made one big error which was silly, obviously not thinking as I coloured the onions I added salt. Wrong thing to do! So instead of colouring nicely they sweated and stayed pale. Salt just draws the water out. Still it would still taste good just not a deep brown colour I was after.


I had no beef stock so I used a Knorr gel stock cube. I would rather have my own stock but I knew this would work ok. Soon the onions and garlic had sweated down, pale but soft. I added the stock and some white wine, with a bit of seasoning it was well on the way to being a tasty supper.

I decided to make croutons for the top instead go using a slice of bread. I think this makes it a bit more manageable to eat. So the croutons toasted in the oven as the soup cooked. I cook the soup very slowly to let flavours develop. I leave it for a good hour on a very low heat. Once ready and seasoning tested I add a splash of brandy to it. This really ramps up the flavour.
So once in the bowls, topped with croutons and grated gruyere and grilled it was ready to go.


I had forgotten just how much I liked it and I will be making it again soon. Back on the menu.

RECIPE
750g onions sliced
2 tsps olive oil, 50g butter
2 crushed garlic garlic cloves
1/2 tsp sugar
1.5 litres beef stock
275 mls white wine
salt and pepper

CROUTONS
cubes of bread coated in olive oil and toasted in the oven until crisp

Fry onions, garlic and sugar in oil/butter mix over a low heat until softened, around 30 minutes. Don't worry if they brown and catch at the edges, this will add flavour.
Once softened add stock and white wine and seasoning then stir until you have all the bits scraped from the pan. Bring up to a simmer then turn down and cover and cook on a low heat for around 1 hour. At this stage it is ready to be put into bowls. You can if you wish add a glut of brandy to the pan. Add croutons and grated gruyere cheese and sit under a hot grill until melted.

So going forward I will need to make sure I don't let this soup fall off the favourites list, and maybe I should bring out food processor to help with the onion slicing, although, on reflection it wasn't that bad. Not worth giving up the recipe for.




3 comments:

Snowy said...

I love this soup, and yours looks delicious.

Phil in the Kitchen said...

A great classic - looks really good. I must admit I let the processor do the chopping if I need a lot of onions.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

I posted my French Onion Soup in February, and it happens to mention a solution to the onion slicing problem - that is, if your problem with it is the same as mine. My eyes used to stream and sting while slicing/chopping onions; then I discovered Onion Goggles - a real lifesaver/eyesaver!