Monday 23 April 2012

ARRIVED in SHANGHAI



SWFC building, 5 minute walk from apartment. At present tallest building in China.



Saturday 31st March we arrived in Shanghai. The sun was shining and already it felt as if summer had arrived here.

Lots of thoughts were going through my head, as they had been since the decision to come here had been made. What would it be like to live here, how would I cope with the language, which would make even the simplest of tasks difficult? Deep down I knew everything would work out, but I have to keep reminding myself that this visit is not like the other times we were in Shanghai, this time it’s going to be our life for the next few years.

Sunday we had to go and buy a few things for the apartment. It was quite a strange experience. An assistant follows you around the stores, however, unlike at home it is to help you shop, not to check you aren’t stealing things! It is a bit weird, and I guess I will get used to it, but it kind of throws you. I felt I rushed and ended up forgetting a few things. Another trip needed.

Lunch with friends, yes we do have friends here. We lunched with the couple whose wedding we had attended last year. OK so just 2 friends but hopefully those numbers will improve in time.

Monday.
Robin off to work. Breakfast in hotel then off on a solo wander around this part of the city. This is a new area to me, and is close to where our apartment is, we move in tomorrow. That will be a big day. Anyway day didn’t pan out exactly as planned.

First waiter seemed not to have understood breakfast order, although he repeated it to me. Ended up with what was brought, plus what I had ordered. Still not too sure how this happened.
Then ATM wouldn’t pay out money. Don’t know why. Didn’t want to try again in case I lost my card. This is when the language is a huge stumbling block. Although instructions are in English receipt given out isn’t. A little disgruntled I then attempt to cross a very wide road, and although there are lights, there are some vehicles which seem to have right of way against the lights, and bike and motor cycles do as they want! I will have to work on my road crossing skills I think.




By mid afternoon it was already 26c so I returned to hotel, took a shower and nap. I knew that on waking I would feel much better and ready to take on the next challenges, of which I am sure there will be many, that is what I both enjoy and dread about living in a foreign country.

1 comment:

Kelly-Jane said...

Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading about how you are getting on. x