Sunday 13 May 2012

VIETNAMESE PHO

Trying out lots of new eating places here, and the one food which is really appealing to me is Vietnamese. I love the sweet, sour, spicy flavours, and in particular the PHO. It is a delicious soup like dish with the addition of slices of marinaded beef. It really has become one of my favourites.
 So I set about finding a recipe to make it at home.


With my 2 cookbooks, all I could carry with me, but both Asian cooking I felt sure I would find something. Once again Bill Granger didn't disappoint. Every recipe I have ever made from any of his books has always pleased.

This recipe is simple, fast and delicious, what more could I have asked for.

1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 sirloin steaks, about 300g each
375g rice noodles
1 litre chicken stock
5 slices of ginger
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp sugar
3 star anise
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 bunch bok choy, cut into long strips
1 red chilli sliced
1 handful of Thai basil. (I couldn't get this so opted for coriander)

Put soy sauce, honey, half the fish sauce and a pinch of salt into a shallow dish. Stir. Add the steak, cover and leave for 5 mins.

Meanwhile, Place noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water and leave to soak according to packet instructions. Drain and refresh under cold running water.

Place stock, 500 mls water,  ginger, lime juice, the remaining fish sauce, cinnamon stick, sugar and star anise into a pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Heat large frying pan over medium - high heat for 2 minutes. Add oil and sear steaks for 2 minutes each side. Then allow them to  rest for 2 minutes.

Divide noodles and bok choy between 4 serving bowls. Ladle hot soup into bowls and top with sliced steak, basil and red chilli slices.

I squeezed a little more lime juice into the bowls and served lime quarters, sliced chilli and spring onions alongside. This gave people the opportunity for a little more heat or sourness depending on their taste.

I also made some Vietnamese spring rolls with mango and shrimp to serve with the pho.






I know it looks like a lot of ingredients, most of which you will probably have in the pantry, but once they are measured out it really doesn't take long to put it all together.

Thanks again to Bill Granger, my go to guy for Asian cooking.






2 comments:

Coby said...

We're fortunate to have a lot of Asian restaurants near to home, and we too love a big bowl of pho:) Love the deep spiced flavours in the beef versions - I've never found success in my home made versions. I have a few bill books, can I ask please which book his version of pho was? I wonder if I've had the recipe all along as yours looks so beautiful:D

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

This recipe is from his Asian Cook book. This I think his latest. I bought it just before leaving UK to bring with me. I have made a lot of the recipes from it. It is really good.